Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2021

Chromatography.

What is Chromatography? 

It is a method in a laboratory for separating a mixture. 

What are pigments? 
Pigments are small particles that can appear in certain colours because it can absorb different wavelengths of light.

Aim :  To separate the different pigments from ink using chromatography


Hypothesis : I think that the paper is gonna change overtime and  it will turn into the colour of the selected marker. It should slowly fade as the water keeps rising up.


Method :

1- Draw a line across the filter paper in pencil, 5cm from the bottom.

2- Draw a coloured dot in the centre of the line.

3- Measure out 10mL of water and place in the test tube.

4- Place the filter paper in the test tube and fold over the side. MAKE SURE THE PENCIL LINE/ DOT IS NOT IN THE WATER.

5- Wait for 5 minutes and observe the results



After results : What happened was it did turn into blue which was the marker me and my friend chose to do. Some parts of the paper were bright with the colour and some parts only had a faint bit of blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.