Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Cultural Inquiry Re-count

 Kia Ora! Today we will be talking about my schools cultural inquiry. As for my work I chose to write/research about Filipino fashion, I chose to do this because I am Filipino myself and I was really interested in learning about the origins of our Fashion in the Philippines. Many people chose different cultures to work on and they worked very hard to be able to present their work. from my research I found that a popular cultural “Costume” in the Philippines is skirt and blouse, Men usually wear a barong and some sort of pants. Many people wear these in the Philippines during certain festivals, This type of costume has been with us for many years and has also evolved in those years. The reasoning of why the barong and blouse is our traditional costume is because a study revealed that “Barong tagalog” was taken from the phrase “ Baro ng tagalog” which translates to “Dress of the tagalog/Philippines”. Many of my relatives wear these on appropriate occasions such as, Weddings, Formal parties, Political events, ect.

The blouse is usually worn by women, it's a very detailed shirt with different patterns all over it, it’s usually coloured cream white or possibly another colour (it usually depends on the event). Women in the Philippines usually wear a skirt that matches with their blouse, this makes it look like a sort of dress. The sleeve of this is very high on the top which makes it look very nice and different from other dresses in the world. These blouses/dresses can also be called “The Maria Clara dress/blouse” these sort of dresses were named after someone. 

Moving on, the barong (worn by men) has long sleeves and a collar, men in the Philippines also usually wear cream white versions. The barong is very similar to the Maria Clara dress/blouse. Men mostly wear black pants with this, most of the fabric is made out of silk. 


These are a couple of the things that I found out while researching for my culture, it was really fun finding out about these things because I can get closer to my culture and have more knowledge about it. 
I hope that you enjoyed reading about Philippines fashion! What country do you come from? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.